The Ten Toll Commandments
10 Most Important Information on Electronic Toll Collection in the SR
1. New system of charging the selected roads infrastructure in the Slovak Republic by means of the Electronic Toll Collection was put into operation on 1 January 2010.
2. The toll is the payment of an amount calculated electronically according to a vehicle category, vehicle emission class and the number of vehicle axles for the distance travelled on the Specified Road Section according to the electronically obtained data. The toll is the income of the Toll Collection Administrator – Národná diaľničná spoločnosť, a.s. (hereinafter referred to as “NDS”) and may be paid in cash, by a bank transfer, payment card or fleet card issued by an issuer approved by the Toll Collection Administrator.
3. Roads infrastructure subject to the electronic toll collection consists of specified road sections stipulated in the Decree of the Ministry of Transport, Construction and Regional Development of the Slovak Republic No. 475/2013 Coll. specifying the sections of highways, expressways, 1st class roads, 2nd class roads and 3rd class roads with electronic toll collection as amended. The distance travelled means the distance between two points of a Specified Road Section. The method of using the Specified Road Sections is defined by the appropriate provisions of the Act No. 474/2013 Coll. on toll collection for the use of specified road sections and on amendments and supplements to certain laws as amended (hereinafter referred to as the “Act on toll collection”).
4. Vehicles liable to pay the toll according to the appropriate provisions of the Act on toll collection are the motor vehicles with the total weight over 3.5 t or vehicle trains with the total weight over 3.5 t specified in the Annex 1 part B points 2, 3 and 5 of the Act No. 725/2004 Coll. on conditions of vehicle operation in road traffic and on amendments and supplements to certain laws as amended (vehicles of the categories M, N and G) except for vehicle trains formed by a motor vehicle of the category M1, N1, M1G and N1G. Detailed information about the categories of motor vehicles with the toll payment liability is available on the web site of the Ministry of Transport, Construction and Regional Development of the Slovak Republic.
5. Toll rates for 1 km of the distance travelled for individual types of Specified Road Sections and individual categories of motor vehicles with the toll payment liability are determined in the Decree of the Slovak Government No. 497/2013 stipulating the method of toll calculation, toll rate and system of discounts from the toll rates for the use of specified road sections as amended. All the specified sections of highways and expressways and specified sections of the selected 1st class roads are subject to the toll payment liability. The specified sections of other 1st class roads and specified sections of all the 2nd and 3rd class roads are charged by zero toll rate.
6. Contract on the Use of Specified Roads Section is made by the Toll Collection Administrator (NDS) and the Vehicle Operator or other entity authorised (hereinafter referred to as the “Vehicle Operator”). By this Contract the Toll Collection Administrator undertakes after entering into the Contract on the Provision of the On-Board Unit to enable the Vehicle Operator to use the Specified Roads Sections according to the Act on toll and the Vehicle Operator undertakes to pay the toll for the use of Specified Road Sections and to fulfil the liabilities related to this.
7. The system of Electronic Toll Collection enables the Vehicle Operator to choose from two payment regimes. In the pre-paid toll regime the Vehicle Operator may use the Specified Road Sections only after paying the toll. In the post-paid toll regime the Vehicle Operator may use the Specified Road Sections before the toll payment, whereas it shall provide the Toll Collection Administrator in advance with a guarantee for the liability to pay the toll by means of a bank guarantee, cash guarantee or by means of fleet cards issuer approved by the Toll Collection Administrator. The toll calculated is then paid after the end of the appropriate monthly clearing period.
8. On-Board Unit is the electronic technical installation (abbreviated as “OBU”) providing for recording exact data about the used Specified Road Sections by the vehicles liable to pay the toll serving for the toll calculation. The Vehicle Operator and/or Vehicle Driver before driving on the Specified Road Sections (including the sections charged by zero toll rate) is liable to install the OBU including its accessories in the vehicle in compliance with the Act on toll collection so that it provides for the collection of data needed for the toll calculation and for the toll collection control. The OBU is not transferrable.
9. Contract on the Provision of On-Board Unit is made by the System Operator (SkyToll, a. s.) with the Vehicle Operator after entering into the Contract on the Use of Specified Road Sections. By this Contract the System Operator undertakes to enable the Vehicle Operator to use the Specified Road Sections according to the Act on toll collection and the Vehicle Operator undertakes to pay the guarantee for every OBU and its accessories to secure its returning. The Contract on the Use of On-Board Unit may on the made in the same regime as the Contract on the Use of Specified Road Sections.
10. Information on the Electronic Toll Collection may be obtained on the customer line + 421 2 35 111 111, on the web portal www.emyto.sk or in the network of customers services created by 8 contact points in all the regional cities of the Slovak Republic and almost in 100 distribution points at selected filling stations and border crossings all over Slovakia marked by the Toll service logo.